While it is difficult to predict how much your legal fees will be, the following are some of the factors that affect the cost:
- Is the case is being litigated or is being settled?
- Is the collaborative law process being used?
- Are there children?
- Is child custody agreed upon?
- Are there novel legal questions?
- Will a pension plan be divided between the parties?
- What is the nature of the contested issues?
- How many issues have been agreed to by the parties?
- Is there cooperation between the opposing party and his or her counsel?
- Are there litigation costs, such as fees for expert witnesses or court reporters?
- What is the hourly rate of the attorney?
Communicating with your lawyer regularly about your legal fees will help you have a better understanding of the overall cost as your case proceeds.