North Carolina has an Alien of Affection statute. However, the statute only applies up to the date of separation from your spouse.  After you have separated, you may begin dating.

If your divorce is contested, you may wish to consult your family law attorney before beginning to date. Although you are legally allowed to begin a new relationship, it may be used in court to call your creditability into question. If there is an adultery claim against you, your spouse may try to use the fact you began dating immediately after the separation to bolster the claim.

Consulting your attorney before beginning to date may not be romantic, but knowing your options may protect you from a lengthy and acrimonious legal battle.

Eric C. Trosch
Board Certified Specialist in Family Law

© 2020 Conrad Trosch & Kemmy | Charlotte Lawyers
Site Design by DG